Sunday, February 11, 2007

My new roomate?




This is Sugarplum. She's a 4 yr old cat. She's a redheaded princess who is curious and likes attention on her own terms. Sound familiar? Right now I am having a serious debate about whether Sugarplum should be my new roomate.

The Pro's
-company so i don't go crazy talking to myself
-finally having a pet!
-pet owners live 10 yrs longer on average
-build up a natural immune system
-have responsibility
-general happiness
The Cons
-I am allergic to cats. They make me sneeze and my eyes itchy.
-my dad is allergic to cats and i want my parents to be able to stay with me when visiting
-the constant vacuuming/lint brushing as I hate cat hair
-dealing with gross things like poo and puke and stuff that makes me naseated
-where to put the cat if I go away.
-not all places allow pets so what to do if I move out sometime.
I have not been a pet owner for years and my experience with all animals is limited. I had a hamster named minime I loved very much but common sense tells me a cat is a lot more work. Would it be okay for while I go to work? How do I take care of a cat? So many questions for a spur of the moment decision, but I feel I must act quick before someone else realizes how fabulous Sugarplum is and steals her away. Feel free to throw feedback and opinions about getting a cat, and how to care for a cat.

8 comments:

Jen said...

I can just see it now. You and the cute cat all happy until it takes a shit. Then your screwed.

Cats are cute but a lot of work yes. But this is like anything you own. Just keep in mind that you will have to clean the shitter box out once a week depending on how much you feed the thing. I also don't think the cat is gonna hang itself either if you are at work during the day. Household pets take this time to rest up and prepare for when you get home.

I say if you plan on staying at home a lot do it. Cats can go days without people around. As long as there is lots of food/water or a friend to come visit it you will be fine.

Colleen said...

Allergies could be a problem. Also, there are vet bills. But animals are great and I am glad I have my bun! Cats weren't a big problem when me and my sister were looking for a place.

Lucas said...

well, i know people who have worked through their allergies and owned cats. so that might be okay. i think they are far easier to take care of than dogs, especially if you have to leave them alone.
puking incidents are more common with long-haired cats, and they tend to learn to make poopy in the box pretty quickly.

Colleen said...

And I forgot to mention that pets are better than bf's hehe.

Lorne L said...

Smoking cancels out the extended health benefits provided by pets. It also complicates allergy and breathing problems. Is this about pets or smoking? I forget, but it's not important.

Meghan had a little cat, little cat, little cat.
Meghan had a little cat whose fur was red as fire.
That's where the nursery rhyme ends. The cat followed me around and I skinned it to make slippers and cooked it in the oven at 350. Cat's are actually really easy to take care of. Just a little butter a day to fatten them up.

Anonymous said...

Re: Where to put the cat when you go away.

There are many answers and options to this age-old cat-owner problem. The freezer is one such place you could "put" the cat. A box in the closet is yet another.

Or just staple its tail to the living room wall so it can't run away.

It's Me! said...

The allergies would be the biggest issue if I were you, BUT, I heard giving them a vitamin E pill every day it counteracts the bit that makes people allergic. It's a thought, anyway.
I like Nick's suggestions of where to "put" it.
There are fewer and fewer apartments now that will allow cats/pets because of the messy aspect and because of allergies.
Then again, if you got her, you could just put a little bonnet on her and tell the landlords it's your daughter and doesn't she look so much like your great grandma! No one would dispute a person who said that!

katiegoestoasia said...

Oh my goodness, don't think. Just get her cuz she's lovely and I want to pet her.