Tuesday, February 9, 2010

On The Road to Recovery

Me, " Do they know what caused your heart attack?"

Dad, "No, but it happened right after your mom went to Costco and I saw the receipt. I think its safe to say I know the reason."


* * *
Me, "Since you have to eat healthy, I'll get mom to send me the buttertarts that are in the freezer so you won't have the temptation. It's for your own good."

Dad, "You're too kind. No, really."


* * *
Mom, "Well he's up and complaining about hospital food. It's always a good sign when people are well enough to complain."

Me, "That's right. We're a family that likes to celebrate success with sarcasm and complaining."

Mom, "Exactly!"


* * *
Mom," Your dad now has heart medication, aspirin, blood pressure medication, sleeping pills, and.."

Me, "Think he'll share the sleeping pills?"

Mom, "Ohhhhh, good thinkin."


* * *
Me, " What all are you doing during the day, Dad? You know you're supposed to relax and take it easy."

Dad, "Yeah, I checked my email earlier. It was pretty hardcore. Now I'm going to keep on sitting. I may even stand but lets not get too crazy."



Yep. Things are getting better.

17 comments:

Jake said...

Trust that he is in good hands and that at least from now on he will know his enemy and how to avoid it. Hope all continues to go well.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are looking up for your Dad. Keep strong

Kyla Roma said...

Aw, you guys sound a lot like my Dad & me- I hope standing isn't too crazy for him =)

Hope you're holding up okay over there!

Ben said...

Good laughs, good news.

P said...

I feel a bit guilty that this made me laugh - but I'm glad your dad is on the mend. :)

Camille said...

Laughter is the best medicine, and it looks like you guys get plenty of it! Glad to hear he's okay.

Anonymous said...

I see where you get the wit from.

Great to hear things are looking up, Megs :)

Age said...

Glad to hear it :)

Amber said...

SO good to hear. I'm glad he's kind of jumping on board with the healthy eating thing. My dad doesn't like healthy food so his solution after his heart attack? If he can't eat junk he won't eat at all *bangs head against wall*

He's coming around but he still eats way too much ice cream for his own good.

rachaelgking said...

So, so glad to hear this. When I got your email I freaked out but didn't want to bombard you with more questions etc. Glad to hear he's on the upswing. More than glad... ecstatic even. Hang in there.

And DO steal some of those sleeping pills.

xoxo

Christopher said...

Gotta love the way families can deal with hard times when they have to, and even get a laugh out of it.

Mike said...

I've never met your dad and I like him, just from this post.

Make sure you hound him until he makes those lifestyle changes that'll keep him healthy.

Daughter guilt is very powerful, I understand.

Melissa said...

Hahah nice to see you guys have a sense of humour. Tell your folks I say hi and that I hope your dad's back to his old antics (well, maybe not ALL of them) soon :)

p.s. I'm low on wine, my birthday isn't for a few months so you've got time to put on a batch of chardonnay (*note the total absence of subtle hinting there).

Leanimal said...

Ahahaha Go Ivan! Guess It's Shots For Us And Linda And Wheatgrass For Daddy-O.

P.S. Go Into Biz With Your Dad, Get Him To Complain And Get Some Good Drugs..Gooooodbye Student Loans Megs!!!

Unknown said...

Jake- wise words.

Idle- thanks love. We need to hang out soon.

Kyla Roma- haha, it's the walking that he's not impressed with.

Ben- thanks.

P-it's okay I did too.

Camille- agreed, we're a fam that laughs it off.

Kelsey- thanks! (but Dad's more witty, I'm more bathroom humour).

Adrienne- thanks :)

Amber- my Dad believes all good foods are covered in gravy. I hope this changes his ways.

Lilu- thanks love.

Christopher- agreed.

Mike- haha, its true and you make a very good point.

Melissa- I'll pass along your hellos/order.

Leanne- and this is why we're married.

Slyde said...

your dad sounds like a pip!

Anonymous said...

so so happy to hear your dad is getting better quickly! i love that last bit :)