But the last post gots me a thinkin about how maybe it's time to throw a little bit of spice in my life, and so my best friend and I just randomly booked a trip to Cuba for the beginning of March. I mean I want to focus on paying off debt, but it's high time I started LIVING life rather than just watching it happen around me. Yes, in 54 days I shall be sitting on the beach, taking trips to Havana, swimming with the dolphins and scuba diving. And did I mention that this is the view from our hotel?
I know it may seem lame but this is seriously one of the most exciting things to happen to me in ages. And I never do things on a whim anymore ( so what if it's almost 8 weeks away). Spontaneous to me is the days where my bra and underoos match. Okay wait, that never happens unless I know I'm getting laid. But still. I'm not a risk taker and I don't just up and DO stuff.
In fact to say I'm not well travelled is a complete understatement. Though I'm sure people who have travelled more than a couple hours away will laugh at my excitement and complete nerves for the fact that I am hopping on a plane to a country where I don't speak the language* with my best friend. I've never travelled on anything longer than a road trip without my parents as chaperones.The last time I was on a plane for something other than business was on the family trip to Florida during my teenage years where the following may have happened:
- everyone got food poisoning on the plane. On the six hour flight. Disgusting doesn't begin to cover it.
- On the 2nd day in Florida there was a small hurricane which grounded us to the hotel, huddled with the power out hoping imminent death wasn't on the immediate horizon before I ever got a chance to have sex with someone other than my hand.
- Day 3. Disneyworld closed due to repairs. Another hotel day.
- massive family fight* Jerry Springer style at MGM studios where I ended up crying like a three year old who lost their mom outside the smelly ball pen.
- I got a caricature of myself done. Doesn't sound so bad does it? Except in highschool I wasn't what the kids would have called ' a looker'. And although I didn't expect a beautiful portrait I got back a cartoon version of this. If only I had known Disney would have capitalized on my bad overbite years later.
It wasn't the WORST trip known to mankind but it definately had it's share of crap moments. I'm hoping this one goes a lot better and I am able to take in another culture without offending anyone, getting pickpocketed, getting thrown in jail or getting lost. One of the things I love about this trip is the fact that even though we are going to an all inclusive, it's right in town and so we are going to get to go to the local flea markets and stores and nightclubs and the such. El caliente!
Time to go rent Dirt Dancing: Havana Nights and start taking notes!
*even though I am rapidly trying to learn some spanish cause I don't want to be one of those asshole tourists that goes to another country and expects everyone to speak the same language
* Do all families fight when on vacation or is it just us? I swear we're like the Griswold's of Canada.